Monday, April 14, 2008

Castries Peanut Creme Liquor

I tried and purchased a new product that I think will become very popular when it hits the state stores of Pennsylvania...Castries Peanut Creme Rum.

This liquor is made in St. Lucia with aged St Lucian rum. The spirit also uses peanuts which are grown in the volcanic soil of the St Lucian villages of Laborie and Choiseul, and are roasted on site.

I picked up a bottle and tried experimenting right away! I was in Sewickley on Friday for the annual Spring Sewickley Gallery Walk. I spent most of my time at Terry Clark's Sewickley office. If not part of the typical gallery walk ... he had the best drinks! Terry cleaned out the local state store of Rosa Regale (I'll go on at length about this wine in the future!) and I brought a great 1997 Wyndham Estate Reserve Shiraz.


While all Terry's guests were amazed by Terry's photos, I was trying to put the bottle of Castries to good use. I brought a bottle of Grey Goose Vanilla and a bottle of crème de cacao and I thought I had the recipe to a great martini! That's what's fun about cocktail creations...they don't always turn out like you think in your head.

The rum base of this peanut flavored drink doesn't mesh very well with vodka (or at least the flavored one I tried). I have since researched their website for drink recipes and I have to say...they came up with some that I hadn't thought of.


One drink calls for the Castries to mixed into hot cocoa! What a great winter drink!

There is a space on their website to submit your own recipes. I love a challenge so here is what I sent them: Castries PB&J Martini. 1 oz Castries, 1 oz Chambord, 1.oz Stoli Razberi. Sounds good right? Well, it is good! Finally a success story for me with this great new product. Let's see if Castries will publish it...

No comments: