Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Glenlivet 1972 Cellar Collection

Wow!

I've had the best scotch of my life this week. I had the Glenlivet 1972 Cellar Collection.

Glenlivet Master Distiller Jim Cryle hand-selected the 1972 vintage of the single-malt Scotch for the 2006 release of the Glenlivet Cellar Collection. The company notes that the 1972 vintage has a rich fruitiness and is bottled at natural cask strength, without the use of chill-filtration. The 1972 was limited to only 10 casks.


I had it neat first and then with the smallest drop of water added. I have never experienced such a dramatic change with such a slight change to a drink. It was as if the drink had been switched on me! I prefer good scotch neat and rarely add water. I add water to bourbon typically, however.


This scotch is my new bench mark to judge all others by. The oak taste was very simply stated but still apparent. The taste of the alcohol was muted and it made for a very smooth journey down my throat. The long dry finish was probably the best aspect of this single malt. When water was added it became much spicier. I appreciated the smoothness much more without the water.

If any clients reading this are interested... I can add a bottle of this fine whisky do your event for $700.00. It makes a great gift that will be remembered forever.

No comments: